You have dreamed of this day for years, and the time has finally come for you to begin building your dream home. You know what you want, what colors will be used, how the yard will be landscaped and have already begun planning your first party. But, before any of that can take place you need to find a Cumberland County custom home builder that you can count on to bring your dreams from blueprint to built.
Finding the right home builder for your Cumberland County home is no easy feat. After all, you can talk to a dozen people and chances are good that you will get at least half as many recommendations. So, how do you begin to narrow down which custom home builder will best meet your needs, and more importantly, your budget and your timeline?
Selecting the Right Custom Home Builder
As you begin the process of finding the perfect home construction company, there is a variety of information to be considered. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Does the builder have a permanent business location?
- What kind of reputation does a potential builder have? You can check them out with the BBB, Angie’s List, and on various review sites such as Yelp. You may also want to talk to building supply companies and see what they have to say.
- Be sure to learn how long they have been in business. Ideally, the longer the better.
- Have written proof of insurance, licensing, bonding and any other legal paper work before you begin on the project.
- Collect names of their other local custom home builds and take the time to check out the builder’s work.
- Ask yourself if you can handle working with the builder for the next 6 to 9 (or longer) months.
- Be sure the payment schedule is fully understood by all parties.
- Establish whether you can show up on the job site unannounced. Be wary of the custom home builder who does not want you to do this.
- Spend plenty of time talking with the builder and being sure that you both understand what your vision will be for your home, and what it will take to get it there.
Using these tips is a great place to begin narrowing down and selecting the custom home builder perfect for your project. Taking the time to do your homework now means a home that will work best for you later.
The professional home building team at WSL Incorporated has years of experience in building custom homes in Cumberland County and surrounding areas. We would love to meet with you and discuss your needs. Give us a call today at 717-582-3423 or Contact Us to get started on the house of your dreams.